Wednesday 1 October 2008

colourful ethical cashmere

Known as the Yarn of the Kings or Soft Gold, Cashmere is the world’s finest and most luxurious fibre; soft, warm, and hard wearing. The term comes from the Kashmiri goats of the Himalayas and the actual wool used is winter down, combed from the underbellies of the goats in early summer. Some of the finest cashmere comes from the high plateau of Mongolia, where the goats are well suited to the harsh dry conditions and sparse vegetation. Garments made with cashmere become softer with wearing, and it is up to 8 times warmer than sheep’s wool. So imagine my delight to find a pair of long magenta cashmere gloves inside this morning's post. But, these are more than beautiful, soft, cashmere gloves - they are from Mudra, an ethical clothing company who design colour conscious clothes. So the gloves, that when worn, feel as though someone is caressing your hand (no sniggering at the back, I'm serious!), are designed to affect physical and mental wellbeing. The magenta hue promises to nourish, soothe, soften and signify gentleness. Oh boy - this is so what I need right now! Rita Hraiz, clothing designer, goddess and entrepreneur creates clothes for women who love to be women, for those who want to embrace their feminine side and express how they feel within. I am planning an article in an edition of The Green Parent for early next year. Thank you to Katherine at the Queen Bee Partnership for introducing me to such luxury.

2 comments:

rae-ann said...

Now do I thank you or do I knock you over the head?!

You have uncovered my weakness - cashmere. I wear it throughout the winter, regardless of the fact it is totally impractical.

What is *so* weird is the colours on this site. Rita's colours of turquoise, purple and pink are my three favourites that I try and wear as much of as possible.

Mmmmm, I have died and gone to cashmere heaven.

You wait until you experience a pair of cashmere socks ;) I have a pair for when I need a hug or some comfort.

Happy birthday by the way - I hope you are having a wonderful day!

Rae x

Melissa Corkhill said...

Ooh cashmere socks - they sound gorgeous. I'm supposed to be gearing myself up for Buy Nothing Month starting in three weeks time! But do tell - why is it completely impractical? It seems as though it feels good, looks good - what more could one want, I wonder?
Love Melissa