Thursday 10 July 2008

books books books

A friend has leant me the Parent Effectiveness Training Book by Thomas Gordon, a Nobel peace prize nominee. Apparently it is a similar approach to Non-Violent Communication, which I am passionate about as a communication process and actually as a way of living. I have done quite a few courses in NVC and it is always heartening to see the effect that this form of communication has on family relationships. We are very much in each other's pockets as a home educating family but mostly we rub along very well together. My children have taught me SO much, I couldn't even begin to list the things I have learnt, but boundless love and patience and the ability to wait without fear or anxiety have to be some of the most important. Anyway, am going to start the book tonight, along with all the other stuff I am reading at the moment (never get a chance to read fiction any longer), which includes Designing and Maintaining your Edible Landscape Naturally, Toasters don't roast chickens, How can I stop climate change, There are no bad children, Hungry City and Setting up a Small School. There are a few other foodie books that I am rereading like Elaine Bruce's Living Foods Programme and Felicity Lawrence's Not on the Label. Hmmm, have a sort of information addiction at the moment, I think.

3 comments:

Dani said...

Hi Melissa,

This is nothing to do with your blog post (though some of those books do sound tempting!) - I just wanted to say hi, and thanks for linking to us in your sidebar. I found you from the stats on our blog, so a few people are already following that link.

Lovely to read back and catch up on some of your doings. Please give our love to Jez and the girls.

Dream Seeker said...

Me too - the information overload thing! I just can't stop buying books! After you left me in Lewes in the bookshop last week I ended up going mad in their WW1 section, researching for a novel that's brewing...then I went a little loco after finishing Booker of Booker nominees (Rushdie won) buying all their other stuff plus oodles of books on fertility nutrition and a book on ageing and the Crone for my article and, and, and....beside my bed the mountain grows, the library card pulsates in my pocket, the bank account groans with overusage in bookshops but can I stop? Frankly, no.
You just gotta keep learning, so much to learn everywhere, beautiful one! x

Melissa Corkhill said...

A big hello to Dani (and Allie, Pearl and Leo) and my lovely sister!

Dani, your blog is always an inspiration on the overcast days of home ed so many thanks to you all for sharing your thoughts and dreams. Lots of love to you all. Maybe we will catch up at a Sussex Home Ed meet in the summer months - perhaps the swimming event in Btn??

And wonderful sister of mine, hello - love the sound of your growing pile of books. let's do some swaps - would love to try and get some of my brain cells round the Booker of Booker nominees. It does feel as though there is an incredible amount of saucy information out there to slip under one's belt but the guy at the crystal workshop I went to last night shuns books saying that we already know everything there is to know, deep inside, and that books (containing other people's thoughts and opinions) can sometimes mislead us. I can tell it's gonna take a long, long time for that one to sink in. I love the sight, feel, sound, even the smell of books. Luckily haven't started eating them yet...