Thursday 25 September 2008

love your heart

In recognition of World Heart Day on 28th Sept I thought I would post about having a healthy heart. Our hearts are the organ of emotion and stress management and are just as important and require the same level of care as other more visible parts of our body to ensure good health and wellbeing. 
Hugging for Health
According to herbalist, James Green, boys are hugged 60-80% less than girls when growing up and this cultural inheritance plays into adulthood with many men being more emotionally reserved and less spontaneously affectionate than women. But the good news is that hugging and communicating through physical touch nourishes the heart muscle. And childhood wounds can be healed through lots of physical affection in adulthood.
Ambrosia of the heart
Tears are shed a s a health response to life's stimulations and are to be encouraged. Too many of us ( and especially men, though I don't wish to generalise) subscribe to the belief that it's weak to cry. Crying helps us to release held emotions and stress. In fact studies have suggested that suppressing tears can cause illness and diseases of the heart. Cardiac disease statistics show that cultural expectations of men have taken their toll; this now needs to change and crying in response to stress, grief, joy and empathy must be embraced as a manly response. 
What you eat
In addition to reclaiming emotions, diet plays an important part in heart health. Eat unadulterated, whole foods whenever possible. Plenty of fresh seasonal fruit and vegetables and lots of water are vital. Avoid excess salt, sugars, additives and processed foods. But rather than cutting things from your diet, which can aggravate our pleasure-seeking monkey minds, try adding good stuff to your life instead. Want to give up coffee/smoking/alcohol? Indulge in something that's good for alongside and make it part of your daily routine. Always have a drink when you get home from work? Have a fresh fruit smoothie and a drink aswell. Keep adding the good stuff at the rate of about one new thing a week. Think a daily walk, cycle ride, time to read a book/meditate, hot bath etc. Eventually unwanted habits will start to drop off the radar and you'll be a more healthful, energetic, happier version of yourself.
Go for garlic
And lastly, garlic and other alliums, such as onions, support heart health - try and include them in every meal. Except perhaps breakfast, unless you're a bit weird, like me.
By the way, I wrote this with a bar of chocolate besides me on one side and a pint of water and lemon juice on the other. Am hoping that if I practice what I preach, the chocolate might slip off into the ether. Maybe I'll replace it with a little bowl of sprouts or something - mmm!

3 comments:

rae-ann said...

Great post. I love your perspective on this Melissa - your holistic approach is great. I agree about the emotional health of our hearts and hope to see that as a more mainstream idea in the future.

Enjoy the chocolate!

rae x

Lynne said...

I love this post - there are many bag habits I've tried to eliminate that just creep back after a few weeks. I'm going to give your approach a try.. thanks Melissa..

Melissa Corkhill said...

Thanks for lovely comments.
Rae, I hope to post lots more about health in coming months. It is an area of family life in which I am fascinated - I feel as though I am constantly joining the beautiful little synchronistic dots and having lightbulb moments.
Lynne, I believe in balance and acceptance of who we are in any one moment. Hope that adding small pleasures to your life helps to shift things for you.
Blessings,
Melissa