Monday 29 September 2008

what's in season?

Buying local, seasonal food is really important to me. Growing my own or foraging for wild edibles is even better. At this time of the year, the hedgerow is bursting with bountiful treats. Here's a selection of things we have enjoyed recently and which are coming up in the next few weeks:
Elderberries: These rich purple-black berries offer a range of benefits during the colder months. They can be used to make a fruity wine, a soothing tonic or a delicious herbal tea - simply dry some berries and steep a handful in near boiling water for ten minutes. Strain and enjoy. 
Hazelnuts: These tasty nuts are just forming on the trees in Sussex and will be ready in a few weeks time. The squirrels love them and often strip the branches before I get there. Hopefully I'll manage to secure a few this year as they are so nutritious and rich in good fatty acids. Health benefits are lost in cooking. Traditionally 31st October was known as Nut-crack Night in Ancient Britain, with revellery, feasting and fortune telling. Young lovers would burn hazelnuts on the fire and they way they burnt foretold the nature of their relationship; sparky or calm. 
Crab Apples: There are still some of these tart little beauties to be found - I have to beat my neighbours to the one wild tree bearing fruit in our area though. If I get some I combine them with blackberries to make pies or crumble, although Hugh, of Fearnley Whittingstall fame, makes them into a rather tasty sounding jelly.
Chestnuts: I have seen a few chestnuts in the last few days - they are not fat and juicy yet but give them a couple of weeks or so and they should be perfect. Gather in their prickly shells and take home to roast by the fire.
Damsons and Bullaces: The crop seems quite small this year, but trees should still bear fruit up to November. A bowl full of damsons, wild relative of the plum, made a truly sublime crumble, when added to a larger haul of blackberries last week.
Hawes: The bright red berries of the Hawthorn tree which can be eaten raw (they have quite a mealy taste) or cooked in a hedgerow jam with other berries.
Hips: I love rose hips - they are so colourful and jolly. I make them into a rosehip syrup which is said to be good for coughs and colds, although I would think that the sugar content negates the Vitamin C in the berries.
Fungi: All sorts of varieties are prolific at this time of the year but I'm afraid I don't really trust myself fungi foraging. I have only ever found and eaten Parasol mushrooms, which were lovely and I keep promising myself a day out with an expert. Maybe this year is the year!
Happy hunting!

No comments: