Saturday 8 November 2008

buy nothing month: day eight

Hey, we have completed the first week or buy nothing month and all is going well. I expect the real challenges to come in a couple of weeks time. I am carefully rationing food items and it is making me more creative in the kitchen. We are going to a party tonight and I am planning what to take with me as a gift - will probably make some edible treats and maybe something from the garden, like a bunch of carrots, in place of flowers!
One pleasing aspect is the reduction in the amount of waste that we have created over the last week. So far we have accumulated half a carrier bag of rubbish in just over a week. I know that we have further to go on waste reduction so I am aiming to cut this as we progress. 
I haven't travelled further than we can cycle over the last week so have enjoyed more time spent with close neighbours and people in the local community, which has been another added benefit. Next week we have a couple of home ed trips planned and I haven't yet worked out how we are going to travel and pay for these, if we go. I am sure that there is some creative trading that could be possible. I'll keep you posted.
Meanwhile, off to make something to rival a box of organic chocs... 

2 comments:

rae-ann said...

Well done Melissa; you've done so well. I kinda fell at the first gate, but I'm inspired by what I have achieved.

I think I need to do a LOT more preparation in order for this to be successful for us. I'm not sure November is the best month for me, maybe in the summer when we can eat more lightly and spend more time in the garden would be better.

Your ideas have been inspirational and it seems to have come naturally to you; I'm very impressed, but certainly not able to keep this up for a month!

Melissa Corkhill said...

Hiya Rae,

Thanks for your comments. I don't think you've fallen at the first gate at all. I think the fact that this experiment encourages conscious consumerism is just as important as not buying a single thing for a whole month.

I also like the idea of doing this in the summer time - it's pretty dreary outside at the moment isn't it? It's been a bit of an effort getting the kids on the bikes to go out (so we stayed home today).

Love Melissa