Sunday 2 November 2008

facts about waste

• In the past 30 years, one-third of the planet’s natural resources base have been consumed.
• In the United States, less than 4% of the original forests remain.
Forty percent of waterways in the US have become undrinkable.
• The US has 5% of the world’s population but consumes 30% of the world’s resources and creates 30% of the world’s waste.
• If everybody consumed at rates, similar to those of the UK we would need 3 to 5 planets to support us all.
• There are over 100,000 synthetic chemicals on the market today.
• Only a handful of synthetic chemicals have even been tested for human health impacts and NONE have been tested for synergistic health impacts.
• In the US, industry admits to releasing over 4 billion pounds of toxic chemicals a year.
• The average person now consumes twice as much as they did 50 years ago.
• We each see more advertisements in one year than a people 50 years ago saw in a lifetime.
• In the US, national happiness peaked sometime in the 1950s.
• Average house size has doubled since the 1970s.
• For every binfull of waste you put out, 70 binfulls of waste were made upstream to make the waste in that one bin.

3 comments:

rae-ann said...

well, when you put it like that, how can I NOT join in with Buy Nothing Month??
Shocking statistics and scary too :(

raining sheep said...

I am so excited to have discovered you blog...I am eagerly following your 'buy nothing month' and am very interested to see how you do. I am totally rootting you all on with this project - I don't think I go through a day without buying something - even a sandwich. I will look at all your tips and maybe start out small - like the not buying anything for a day project and then eventually working my way up.I would definitely need to be buying fruit and veg...hard to grow anything in the winter in Canada, Calgary especially - our growing season is about three months, if that. But, I love the concept and will be following closely. Cheers.

Melissa Corkhill said...

Yay - good to hear that you are in Rae - though I didn't mean to push anyone into it with those stats - they are shocking aren't they?

Thanks for your support Raining Sheep - celebrating Buy Nothing Day at the end of Nov is a great way to start to look at our attitudes to consumerism. I hear you on the homegrown veg front - our plot hasn't been as productive this year. I think its important to start small and set manageable goals otherwise it can all feel a bit overwhelming! Thanks for reading!