Sunday 2 November 2008

day two: buy nothing month

Well, it's a gorgeous autumnal afternoon on day two of our Buy Nothing Month and I'm sitting here with a cup of tea and an almond and chocolate muffin, feeling pretty good. So how is it going? And what temptations have we encountered so far?
It's going well, although this might have something to with the fact that we live in the back of beyond and retail temptations don't really exist out here - unless you count the fab village shop and of course, the ever present lure of internet shopping. We are all looking forward to the challenge and even the kids have volunteered to forfeit their pocket money for the month, in order to be more involved in the experiment. I have cancelled our weekly newspaper fix and the film club that we belong to.
I am being extra cautious and sparing in the kitchen with store cupboard ingredients like coconut oil, agave syrup and dairy items such as butter and yoghurt as these will run out quite quickly and we will not replace them during November. I guess there will come a time towards the end of the month when we eat lots of soups and flat breads!
Yesterday, I made big batch of pastry using flour, coconut butter and cold water and turned it into a gigantic pumpkin pie (to make use of all that pumpkin flesh left over from Halloween) and a batch of mini tartlets filled with leek and cheese or tomatoes and herbs, which should last a day or so. On presenting the massive pumpkin pie at dinner last night, amid cinnamony wafts and proud smiles, I discovered that I am the only one of us who likes this traditional treat. Anyone who visits in the next day or so will not get away without being sat down for a cup of tea and a large slab of pie.
Today for lunch I unearthed a packet of couscous from the back of the cupboard and made a salad with tomatoes, herbs and chilli from the garden. Dinner will probably be pasta with similar seasonal veg. I must confess that my cupboard is probably fuller than the average store stump as we do an Infinity Foods bulk order once every few months, so I have a stock of items like tinned tomatoes and large bags of flax seeds, almonds etc.
We usually sell our eggs to neighbours and passers by but this month I will be using them or maybe bartering them at the dairy farm round the corner. I am really interested in nutrition and will keep a close eye on the kids to check that they are getting everything they need this month in order to thrive. I used to feel that my girls were very picky eaters but since I have relaxed my attitude to this, they in turn have relaxed and are mostly happy to try things before rejecting them. My eldest is happiest with raw fruit and veg and her sister prefers pies and potatoes and more carby food. It is an interesting balance but I now love being in the kitchen, when a year or so ago food had become a bit of a sore point. 
Over the last two days we have discovered that we 'need' a few things for the house - a lightbulb, new washer on the tap, over mitt etc. and although these items have been on the To Buy list for a while, now that we can't just go out and buy them, they are causing more frustration. Perhaps I might get around to making my own oven glove this month. Watch this space...

3 comments:

rae-ann said...

Sounds amazing, Melissa. Your children are wonderful to give up their pocket money to help you :) I'm really doing this one along, as it wouldn't be DH's space right now and it defo wouldn't be our daughter's LOL!
But my solution for the past 2 days has not been to go into any shops. :D I will, however, be buying my usual foods, but I'll be using up storecupboard / freezer foods too. You're a real inspiration with your ideas :)

Emma Bradshaw said...

Hi Melissa

I got a few free energy saving lightbulbs from my local energy saving agency - might be worth sourcing your local one to see of they give them out - or saying you may review them in your mag! - or is that cheating?

I need more oven gloves too - so I'm game if you are to take on the oven mitt challenge!

I popped into town earlier and picked up some toys that I thought would be good stocking fillers without even thinking! You should be proud - I put them back when i realised what I was doing!

and it's only day three, emma ;0)

Melissa Corkhill said...

Hi Emma,
Thanks for tips on light bulbs - I am actually switching bulbs between rooms at the moment as and when I need them - all v heath robinson.

I have yet to get started on my homemade oven mitt - how's yours coming along?!

Good work on resisting stocking filler goodies - we have a seasonal visit from some advent elves in our house and I'm not sure how they will manage without spending a penny. I guess they'll have to get very creative over the next two weeks...